Monday, March 30, 2009

Big Old Heavy Window...

What can I do with this window?


One day a couple of weeks ago, while I was on my lunch break, I was riding through town and saw this window on the side of the street waiting for the garbage people to pick it up. I was in my friend Stevie's truck because my car was in the shop. Anyway, when I saw this window, I thought I could get it and paint roses on it and hang it on my little porch. It didn't look that big when I was up in his truck! So I pulled over and jumped out and put the tailgate down and was gonna just hurry up and put it in the back of the truck. When I went over to it, I then realized that it was taller than me! I tried to pick it up and it was soooooo heavy! I thought it was framed in wood but it was metal! I got it upright and almost decided to leave it because of it being so heavy! I looked around and saw some construction men were staring at me. They were talking amongst themselves and it was like they were questioning my ability to get it in the back of the truck. That made me want to get the window even more! I didn't want to seem like a weakling! So I pulled it over to the back of the truck and I tried to push it up in the truck but I couldn't ...it was so heavy! They were still looking at me and laughing! That really aggravated me! So I got up in the back of the truck and pulled and pulled until I finally got the big old heavy window up in the truck. It was tough! It took up the whole back of the truck! I know that I looked like a crazy lady getting that window! I even had on a dress and heels! I jumped up in the driver's seat and looked over at the men and waved good-bye! You should have seen the look on their faces! It was so funny!
(Don't ever underestimate the power of a woman!) LOL

Now the thing is....What do I do with this window!? LOL It is so big and Stevie fell out laughing when he came over and saw it. He got it out for me and put it up against my fence for me. He couldn't believe that I picked it up all by myself. He just kept shaking his head!

If anyone has any good ideas...please let me know. I really want to use it for something after all of that work! I know there are so many creative people out there that could come up with something!



12 comments:

Stevie said...

Ya'll this window is HUGE!! I still don't know how she loaded it into the back of the truck. It is about as tall as Lee Laurie and outweighs her by at least 20 pounds. I was worried that I wasn't gonna be able to pick it up....knowing that she loaded it in truck really put some pressure on me...

A couple of ideas for the window...

build a cabin around it

knock out a complete wall in the house and install it

put it on the side of the street and secretly video record people trying to load it in their vehicles

donate it to good will

It would look good install in the house, I can see the Christmas tree full of lights shining through.

Since, I will be helping to do whatever idea she comes up with....please take it easy on me!HA

Tanza said...

Oooohhh Lee,
How funny !! I can just picture this ?! You loading the window into the truck..hahhaha..Believe me, I've done just the same.. I always laugh, because I'll see something I want, and get it into my truck, BUT, once I get it home, I always want help unloading it !! Funny !! I think you should paint the whole window white, and then paint a flower or garden scene on top of it. Maybe fauz curtains painted too.. sweeet.. Hang it on a patio.. Have a beautiful day Lee.. hugs ~tea~

MEME'S PLACE said...

OMG! I CAN SEE YOU IN YOUR DRESS AND HEELS PULLING THE WINDOW IN THE BACK OF THE TRUCK.I HAVE LAUGHED AND LAUGHED. WE ARE SO MUCH ALIKE. I WOULD HAVE DONE THE SAME THING, AND IF I SAW THOSE MEN LAUGHING AT ME I WOULD HAVE BEEN THAT MORE DETERMINDED TO GET IT IN THE BACK OF THE TRUCK. WE HAVE ALWAYS BEEN LIKE THAT. IF I WANT SOMETHING DONE AND I DONT THINK I CAN DO IT OWN MY OWN I WILL ASK FOR HELP, BUT I IF DONT GET THE HELP I WANT FAST ENOUGH I WILL DO IT MYSELF. I USUALLY JUST TRY DOING THINGS MYSELF FIRST ANYWAY. YOU HAVE MADE MY DAY. I WAS LAUGHING SO MUCH AS I WAS READING THIS POST. IM SURE YOU WILL FIND SOMETHING CREATIVE TO DO WITH YOUR HARD EARNED WINDOW.DONT EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF US WOMEN IS RIGHT!!! LOVE , MELINDA
OH STEVEN SAID YOU WERE VERY STRONG, THATS A HUGE WINDOW!!!HAHA

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

Oh my gosh...this story had me falling off my chair with laughter. Then add Stevie's two bits and I'm dying over here! I can just picture you jumping up in that big ol' truck and waving a big "I told you so" to those wimpy men. Now, as for that window...WOW, that sucker is BIG! It would look neat just propped up in a corner of your porch or patio. Or you could get all fancy and make it into a message board or something. I have seen so many ideas for these old windows and wouldn't you just know it...I can't remember one? I'm gonna think on it and get back to you.

Victorian Garden Gourmet said...

Oh-a girl after my own heart! I can’t believe none of the men would help you with it-especially wearing a dress & hells! Kudos to you for getting it in the truck without them.
There is a window at the antique mall where I have a booth identical to that one, but missing the glass. It is in a garden-themed room hanging on the wall with bits of Spanish lace tucked in here and there. Next time I go down to the mall, I’ll have to take a picture of it and email it to you. It just looks so neat. Congrats on a fabulous find!
Kate

~Red Tin Heart~ said...

You know what would be really cool? Take an old quilt and cut it down to fit the window and hand it up. I love windows that have been done like that. And Lee thanks for the comment you left.
If you will e-mail me I will e-mail you back. I can't seem to e-mail you and make it work. I don't know why.
xoxo Nita

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh I needed this laugh. The visual my mind conjured up is hysterical and believe little miss mighty mae, I feel you. i'm stubborn that way. If I want it and it's available, no is not in my vocabulary.

I like the build a cabin around it...

Put a quilt behind it....

Paint i WHITE and then maybe paint your favorite flowers in the windows then light it from behind with an uplight....

Place family pictures randomly throughout the panes....

Take out a whole wall.. that is right up my alley... no kidding big guy steve... my hubs would attest to that...

Suspend it from a ceiling with lighting and dried flowers throughout with maybe baskets or something....

hmmm... great window miss lee!!

Anonymous said...

Oh p.s.

It'll be awhile before I feel any better. Auto-immune drugs take a good while to build up in the systerm and until they do, it's pretty miserable. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude. When I can't I simply state to family, "it's a bad day". Then my space is given and I try to stay busy. It's... a bad day but good mentally today. Thank you so much for asking....

how are you by the by... any word on your tests as yet. I included you in my prayers and hope the best for you.

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Well it was definately worth the struggle to get it in the truck! I can't wait to see what you end up doing with it..

Deanna said...

You Go Girl!! Woo Woo Woo!! Girl Power!!!

What jerks to not have helped you load that gi-normous window into your truck!

My friend Mary Anne has a large window like yours and she took out the top glass panes but left the ones in the middle. She hangs windchimes from the top window panes and on the lower panes I believe she put some plants or something..I can't remember. She painted roses on the middle panes. I think her window was larger than this....she still has it and this was waaaay back in 1995! It's in her garden. Maybe I can get her to take a picture of it.

Hugs,
Deanna :D

Thanks for helping wee little Lee Laurie Stevie!! You're the man!

The Muse said...

Hurrah for you!
Go girl LOL LOL...!!!
I love your tenacity!

I have read an array of wonderfully creative ideas here...and I cannot wait to see what you do :)

Rose1957 said...

OK I got an idea. ;) I need 7-8 just like that to close in my front porch with. You can just give it to me. :)
Seriously, that was so funny! I think I'd had to holler at the guys and say, can one or two of you guys come help me please? hee hee
But I really would like to come across some of those for my front porch!!! WOW great find!
Come visit me at my blog, I love tea stuff to and I am ALSO a southern Rose! :)
http://mrsbettybargain.blogspot.com/