Monday, October 19, 2009

"Show Off Your Cottage Monday" with A Southern Rose

Today is the first day of 'Show Off Your Cottage Monday' with Cielo at "The House In The Roses". I think this is a wonderful idea to show off rooms in our cottages that we have decorated and also projects that we are working on. Maybe this will motivate me to get a few more projects finished on my to do list.


My front door has been painted several times. Two of the times by me. It is layered with years and years of different colors of paint and in spots you can even see the rust starting to come through. It is an old metal door and I have wanted to change it for months but I will have to wait a little longer. I'm trying to live with my new motto that is on my new blog banner. "Being happy with what I have". My door is a shelter from the cold and I am happy with that. Come in and see my living room...




I love the colors that I have in this room. I love reds and yellows, they make it feel so warm in here. This is the first room that you walk into when you enter my cottage. It use to be dark brown paneled and very dreary. I love paint! It does wonders! I have a china cabinet in here because I have so many dishes that I had to put one in several rooms. I love dishes! A good friend of mine bought this Tiffany lamp for me a couple of years ago. I love stained glass too.


I've had this music player for years now. It plays old records, cassettes, and CD's. I love to go into this room and put some peaceful piano music on and just sit and relax. That is the reason that I don't have a television in here. I love to sit and have my coffee or tea and read or write letters to my friends. Yes, I still do that even with the conveniences of email. I love to send and receive letters and cards. They seem more personable to me.



I've had this old mirror for about 17 years now. It has been moved to several different houses and rooms. This is the buffet that my daddy gave me when I was only 19 years old. I keep all of my cassettes and CD's in the top drawer.




This is the secretary where I write my letters. It is full of stationary and little trinkets from my children.





I have loved roses since I was a little girl and I always will. I wallpapered the side wall for an accent wall, with roses of course. I used that same paper in my old house.






I bought these rose prints years ago at the Atlanta Market. I use to go buy merchandise for the gift store that I managed years ago. Oh how I loved that job! I always had to buy something for me too! LOL One print is called "Entwined" and the other is called "Touchable". They were painted by Deb Collins. I wonder the reasoning behind the names. I have a larger one too that goes with these and I will post about it on a later post.
Thank you for joining me for my first "Show Off Your Cottage Monday". It was fun seeing other people's cottages too. If you would like to see more just go on over to 'The House In The Roses' and Cielo has the different links set up so that you can visit them. That is where I'm heading right now.



Have a great day!


22 comments:

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Happy Monday,
I love your front door, its very welcoming. I do love your motto "being happy with what I have".It really is true. I also love the red and yellows they are warm colors. Your home is so pretty, I would feel right at home and very comfortable. I think we have the same taste.
I received a note from Cielo about the "Show off your cottage Monday" and I also love the idea. I am going to join in very soon.
Take care and have a wonderful day and keep creating.
Elizabeth

Laurie said...

Hi Lee Laurie,
I love the color of your front door ~ it works with every season.
Your home is beautiful! I spy Old Country Roses in your cabinet. I love using these dishes for the Autumn and Christmas. The colors are just right. Thank you for sharing your home!
Hugs))

The Stylish House said...

Lee Laurie,
Your home is warm and inviting and I enjoyed viewing all of your pretty, special touches. Your front door color is a Wow, I like it! I agree with you 100% about being happy and appreciating what we have. I get more of a kick from using creativity then money, not that there is anything wrong with money! Thank you for stopping by my site and saying hi, I look forward to following you. It is always nice to meet new friends.
Cathy

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Happy Monday! I love green and I love the lace on your front door; so pretty! Red and yellow is such a warm colour combination and I love your pretty rose-covered wallpaper. Thank you for sharing.

Blessings,
Sandi

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

Thanks for sharing-- I especially love your front door! Have a great week!

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

I love the color of your front door! AND I love your attiude!

I also love yellow and reds. Your home is beautiful and comfortable. I'll have to go check out the other participants as well (I love peeking into peoples homes)!

Manuela

deb said...

What a lovely home! The color of your front door really makes your wreath pop. They go so well together! That wallpaper is soooo pretty! Haven't seen anything like if before. The pictures look so at home on that wall. You have gorgeous furniture. Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. It's much appreciated.
Whishing you a Treasured week!
*hugs*deb

♥Mimi♥ said...

I looked at all of your goodies and all I could think of was the years I spent living in Chattanooga. Gosh, I sure miss living in the south. Your home is just lovely and so indicative of Southern Charm.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I adore the color of your door. Love the green. It's SO pretty. And your cottage is warm and welcoming!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Anonymous said...

Such pretty sites around your house and how welcoming your front door is- you can tell your in for a treat with the rest of the house just by your sweet door!

Tanza said...

Hi LL,
Ooohh your front room is beautiful, it looks very victorian.. the colors are soo warm.. I too, could curl up in there, and read my magazines, and listen to the pretty music.. you all know how I feel about those darn tv's.. hahaha.. Thanks for sharing a piece of your sweet, pretty cottage !! Have a terrific Tuesday ..
hugs ~tea~xo

Tara said...

I like your green door! It's very cheerful. Your multi-radio looks neat. I'm amazed it plays all three things,it looks old! Your desk is gorgeous too, I love lots of goodies packed into a small space like that, the only downfall is dusting it all!

Tara said...

I like your green door! It's very cheerful. Your multi-radio looks neat. I'm amazed it plays all three things,it looks old! Your desk is gorgeous too, I love lots of goodies packed into a small space like that, the only downfall is dusting it all!

Unknown said...

I love your door Lee!! The color is awesome! And I adore your Victorian decor, the wallpaper is just beautiful!!
Hugs,
Amy

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

Happy Tuesday! I am late for Cottage Monday round.. you got nice home! look so comfy and cozy.. and so warm.. the green front door just great! love the green..

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

you got such a warm and cozy home.. and i love your door.. green just warm and fresh.

Melissa Miller said...

Lee Laurie you cottage home is just beautiful!

Love your pretty secretary desk and the front door color. What a happy and fun lime green color.

Your home is very welcoming!
~Blessings, ~Melissa :)

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Lee Laurie,
Your front door color is wonderful. So inviting and fresh. I love your colors and the warm cozy feel it gives. Your home is lovely. I adore the secretary and the that you like to write letters. I do as well, and love to send cards. Something about going to the mailbox and having a letter is so special.
Your buffet is a treasured piece and perfect for your music player. What a gorgeous mirror too.
Everything is so pretty. I agree, that we should strive to be happy with what we have. It's all a gift from God.
Hugs to you, Celestina Marie

Chany said...

^Preciosa casa y muy bellas palabras, los detalles de la casa encantadores, con cariƱo Chany.-

Cindy said...

Lee Laurie, your front door is very pretty and your front room is gorgeous. I love roses, too. Your room has a warm comfy feeling to it. Hugs, Cindy S.

Donna Lynn said...

What fun! Lovely of you to share your home, I echo the sentiment, "Being happy with what I have", I am so blessed and that is a great reminder today!

Bless you for asking about Joshua, we got the go ahead for him to begin putting weight on him leg...finally! This has been going on since Aug. 14TH!

Take care and have a lovely fall week!

Madeleine said...

I absolutely love the green color of the door. I live in a crazy town where you have to ask permission from the city to change the color of your door or risk being fined...

I definitly agree with your new motto...happiness is all about gratitude for sure. =]