Friday, September 4, 2009

Cleaning up my cottage

Good Morning! I thought I would share some pictures of a piece of furniture that I cleaned up and painted back in April. I've had it for a while but it was in storage. I decided it was time to get it out and paint it and put it to use in my cottage. I painted it "Heirloom White" and I love it. I had it in my dining room and I recently moved it to my 'shabby' den.

This is just a few things that I had displayed on it when it was in my dining room. Garrett loves to change the dates on my little calender.

This is how it looks in my den. I guess you would call it a secretary. I love french provincial furniture. It has all of these little places to put things. I like to sit here when I'm 'blogging'. I don't use that door much. If I need to, I can close up the secretary and there will be plenty of room to open the door. I would show you pictures of the deck outside of that door, but I'm not finished with it yet. I've only primed it so far. I plan on putting a table and chair set out there so that we can eat dinner outside in the evenings. I haven't been in too much of a hurry getting it done...I guess because we have so many mosquitoes and I would rather dine out there after it gets a little cooler.


I have a French provincial chair that I need to paint to go here instead of this pink chair. I'm just using it for now.


I have it full of little things that the kids have gotten me over the years and a few little happies that I've found along the way. I like it better in this room. Garrett can even do his homework here.

I'm off work today...I think that I will go and bake something! I love to have something baking in the oven while I'm cleaning my cottage. Don't laugh...you can if you want to, I like to play Christmas music while I'm cleaning the house! I do that all during the year. My daughter use to laugh at me....now she does it too! The other day, Garrett came up to me while I was cleaning the kitchen and he ask me how many days til Christmas? I think that I confused him! LOL

Have a great day today!

14 comments:

Whatever Is Lovely said...

Very Beautiful Lee Laurie!!! Could you explain the part about the painting process? I want to paint a couple of big pieces... But have never done it.. I have only stained pieces before. You say you used Heirloom White.. This looks like a really pretty shade of white! What brand is this? Thank you & I hope you dont mind all the questions!

Hope you all are feeling better! & Hope you have a beautiful Labor day weekend! Hugs ~ Teresa

Tara said...

Your secretary desk is beautiful. I love furniture painted white. I know what you mean about something baking in the oven and Christmas music playing. There is just something so comforting about it. I usually start listening to Christmas music in Sept/Oct when I walk, I love it!

Unknown said...

Thank you for the kind words on my blog "The Cutest Thing You've Ever Seen"... Yours is awesome, too. and I love the song that was playing when I opened your page. It's just how I feel!!!

Let it Shine said...

This looks gorgeous!!
Love your blog! And the pictures of your grandson are absolutely adorable. How cute!! Can't help but smile.

LukesLove said...

I cleaned today some... love the Christmas music, so cute! Love all your white and pink roses together! I have a chest that I painted white about a month ago - I still need to do another coat and distress it... I've been putting it off to work on scrapbooking my wedding pics (3 years late!) =)

Rebecca

Rebecca Nelson said...

Hi Lee...

Ohhh Girl! Love the painted piece! Awesome.

I'm more NERVOUS than I can say about painting my dining room furniture. SCARY because there's no turning back. One thing that helps is the my SILaw put a HOT DISH in the center of my table two Thanksgiving's ago. As a result there is a HUGE HALO in the finish that cannot be fixed. So...I either pay to have it redon or paint the entire thing. It's going to be work though...lots and lots of work. I'm selling the China Cabinet as my taste has greatly changed and it doesn't it anymore...So, at least I won't feel guilty about that!

Now..about Victoria Mag...I don't care for the new ones either. I heard years and years ago that Victoria was one of the most expensive mags to ever produce. Even now when I look back on the pics I can see this was true. Breathtaking still...even after 20 years.

Ok girly...hope you are well. So happy to see your smiling face again!

Love, Rebecca

Tanza said...

Hello LL,
What a beautiful desk you have set up !! It looks soo girly, and all your pretties right there to enjoy !! It looks lovely in that room.. LoVe the paint on the walls to !! Gosh, you've been a busy one !! Looks wonderful !!
Have a happy holiday week-end ...
hugs ~tea~xo

{oc cottage} said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, that is quite fabulous!

m ^..^

Melissa/Piney Rose said...

Oh how pretty, LL!! You've done a wonderful job, and it is a lovely backdrop for your pretties as well. I use a lot of Heirloom White paint - I love that shade.

Lisa @ On Cloud Pink said...

Hi Lee,
I can't wait to see the chair to go with it. It is such a charming desk especially will all the pretties on display. You're such an inspiration!

Toodles.

Unknown said...

Hi Lee Laurie!

That is a fabulous desk/dresser! You did a wonderful job with it!

Thanks for stopping and leaving such sweet comments about my Kitchen desk!

Have a great weekend!
Lorena

BALLET NEWS said...

Hello, you have the most fabulously wonderful site here and I had to leave this comment for you ! Your posts are beautifully written, creative and original too, and you have interesting pictures.

It's all perfect !

Thank you for sharing your site and best wishes.... 'Happy September'....

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

My daughter humms Christmas music all year round!!

Your desk looks beautiful! Very cottagey!


Manuela

Lady Katherine said...

I love it! So pretty! What a wonderful place to blog! My is dreary! lol I going to add door to cover it up! For the computer just calls as I walk by. lol Love what you done! I love the pink rose glass, with the light shining through.