Thursday, April 2, 2009

Happy Birthday, Granny

My little granny would have been 108 years old today. I think about her every April 2nd. She went to Heaven in 1988. My daughter (granny's only great-great grandchild) was 5 years old. Christy says that she remembers her.

I ran across this birthday card one day and I just had to get it. It has the year of Granny's birth on the front and it has all kinds of things inside that happened that year. So many things have changed since then.

I took a picture out of my scrapbook. I made this page years ago. I remember putting this sticker on the page and thinking how perfect it was.
We were so close. She was a 'cool' granny. All my friends loved her and they still talk about her to this day. If we ever had a problem that we didn't think that we could handle...we would just take it to Granny and she would help us. I loved her so much.





I think that I was around 19 or 20 years old here with her. I would go and eat lunch with her almost every day on my lunch hour. I worked at a store called Howard Brothers and it was only a mile or two from her house. (It was kind of like a Walmart before we got Walmart's here) She enjoyed our lunches together. A couple of years later when she had to go into the nursing home, I still would go have lunch with her a couple of times a week. She would feel so special when I would bring her 'Sonic' burgers, her favorite. She would introduce me every time to her little friends.
Happy birthday my sweet granny. I love you and I think about you every day. We will see each other again one day.



8 comments:

Stevie said...

Good morning,
Lee you are such a sweet loving caring lady. I can tell by the stories you tell me that ya'll shared a great strong bondage of love with one another. I wish I would have met her and I wish you could have met Kaika's parents....Paw Paw and Maw Maw Zack. I think both granny's were a lot alike.
We didn't know it that when we worked at Howard Brothers...that we would still be friends after all these many many years ago.
I hope you have a wonderful day!
Hugs,
Stevie

Anonymous said...

Awww... Happy Birthday Granny!! Lee you look so lovely with your granny in that picture and how kind of you to speak to lovingly of her.

Rhondi said...

Hi
Thanks for leaving a comment. It is so great to have loving memories of loved ones isn't it? Your grandma sounds like a wonderful woman.
Hugs, Rhondi

Janet said...

That is so sweet. My aunt's birthday is on April 2nd too. It's a small world.
Have a good weekend.
Iris :)

MEME'S PLACE said...

OH, I JUST LOVE THIS POST. I MISS GRANNY TOO. I HAVWE SO MANY GREAT MEMORIES OF HER TOO. YOU ARE RIGHT, WE WILL MEET AGAIN.

blushing rose said...

What beautiful memories ... you were so sweet to write such a loving memorial on your Grandmother. Have a lovely weekend. TTFN ~ Marydon

Laurie said...

Dear Lee Laurie,
Such a lovely card. I miss my Nana too, she also died in 1988. She was born in 1893 ~ I used to love to listen to her tell stories from her childhood.
Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Caroline said...

What sweet memories of your Grandmother. Mine was born in 1900 and died in 1986. I was 16. I wish I could've spent more time with her if only we lived closer. What a great idea to get the card with her age...I may have to do the same thing! PS..enjoyed your blog.