Sunday, July 19, 2009

Garrett and I are both winners!

I've been MIA for a few days. I've been so busy at work. We've been getting ready for inventory and we started taking inventory this past Friday. I go in today at 5:00 and work until 12:00 to finish up. Inventory always just wipes me out! Thank goodness that I am off tomorrow so that I can recuperate. I plan on getting some good rest! I will have some time to catch up on my all of my blogger friends. I feel like I've been away for so long! I wanted to show a picture of a giveaway that I won on July 14th from Caroline at "Forever Vintage". This was her first giveaway. I can't wait to receive it! She was celebrating her birthday, wedding anniversary, and 1 year blogging anniversary all on the same day. I love her blog and she is such a sweet person! Go check her out if you haven't met her yet. Thank you so much Caroline.

Well...this morning I was sitting out on the porch drinking my coffee and reading the Sunday paper and look what I came across?! My sweet little boy's picture in the paper! I was so surprised! I didn't know that his picture was going to be in there! He won 2nd place in the accelerated reading program at his school right before school let out for the summer. I am so proud of him! He loves to read! Just the other day, we went to a thrift store and I bought him 15 more books for his collection. He picked them all out and he was so excited. We go to the bookstore in the mall sometimes but when we go to the thrift store, I can get him 10 books compared to 1 or 2 from the bookstore. He found Huckleberry Finn, Black Beauty, Mobey Dick, The Headless Horseman, and many more. He looked at them all the way home. I just talked to him on the phone and he was excited when I told him that his picture was in the paper. He just went on vacation with his daddy. I won't say where they went yet until they come back. I'm sure that he is going to have tons of fun! I made him a goodie bag full of fun things like sticker books, puzzle books, Uno cards, and even a disposable camera so that he can take his own pictures! He wants me to post some on my blog when he gets back.
Have a great Sunday!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Both surprises are well worth the sharing. My children were both starving to read the "next" book. They would get books and read through them in no time at all. They had library cards at very early ages and yard sales & flea markets helped build a library to entertain them. My son will re-read a book when he is at a loss for what is his interest at any moment.

Congratulations to your son!! That is a fantastic award.

Tanza said...

Ooogg Good morning Lee Laurie,
Soo glad to see you back and we missed you !! Congratulations on all your sweet won treasures !! That will kep you busy !! And, how wonderful that Garrett also won an awesome award !! Be blessed that your guy loves reading.. What an awesome world that opens up !! Hope your day is well, and that work flys by for you !! Happy Summer..
hugs ~tea~xo

Anonymous said...

Hello there Lee Laurie,

I'm a regular visitor at the lovely Lady Laurie's blog and have been visiting with you too.

What a lovely win there, and thanks for the heads up on another nice vintage blog!

I love to make up little "ditty" bags for travel for my grands!

Life is so much fun!

You are invited to my newly opened blog...please stop by when you can!

Tara said...

Congratulations to both the winners! Can't wait to hear from the guest blogger and all his travels!

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Laurie,
I remember too well taking inventory when I was manager in retail. It is tough. I so hope you got some much needed rest and are feeling good these days.
Congrats to your sweet and handsome little son on his reading award. That is wonderful. Kids that enjoy reading really go far in their education. I bet you read to him as a baby too. Love the pic in the paper. Hope he has a great vacation.
Have a great week.
Blessings to you.
Hugs, Celestina Marie

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Hello....Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and leaving your sweet comment. You are right...I have had so many comments on my dining room wallpaper. Unfortunately, I do not know who made the wall paper or anything about it but since you mentioned doing a post on it and I am going to try and research and see if I can find the answer. It was already here when we bought the house over 2 years ago. I think it is one of the things that attracted me to the house....pink roses! So, On my next post I just might be blogging about the wallpaper....thanks for the idea!(Sometimes it is hard to find things to blog about)
~Hugs, Patti

Laurie said...

Hi Lee Laurie!
Oh you won such pretties! ~ Just perfect for your cottage.
When my kids were younger they were involved in the accelerated reading programs and they loved it ! It was a great way to get them motivated to read and now they all love books.
Congratulations Garrett!

Hugs))

P.S. I love your Snow White music!

passion4pink said...

I love all your posts, I am just catching up on some blogs. i have been very busy at work myself we are being audited at the moment. Congratulations to your son!Well done Garrett!!Love your win too,
Vicki

ROSE VINE COTTAGE said...

Congrats to both of you!! He should be so proud of himself, I can't get my boys to sit long enough to read a book, although when Shayne(my oldest) was young he would read anything on the Civil War, he loved that!!
Hugs~Kelly

Stella said...

Isn't always fun to a present no matter our age. One of my grandaughters loves to read too. When we go to thrift stores she buys books while the other girls buy toys. Glad you will have time to rest.

Eclectic Chic Style said...

Hi Lee! I've missed you!! I just have to say that I love the color you've chosen to paint the porch ceiling, you have to show us more, it's looking gorgeous. Hope you've been absolutely fantastic, and don't work tooo hard, I just finished doing my "time". LOL!!! Now a breather.... Love the goodies you won, and sweet picture of little Garrett what a wonderful award!!!!!
I'm so glad to be back visiting!
♥ Teresa

Rebecca Nelson said...

Inventory at a retail place is tough. I managed a CURRENT STATIONERS STORE for more than five years and inventorying all those greeting cards was the pits... I pray I never have to go back to it.

Your little man is charming, Lee. I know you are so proud of him. I would be, too! What a shocker to see him in the paper!

xoRebecca

blushing rose said...

Reading is the door to the world, I always stressed to my children & gr-kid-lings. Congrats to Garrett & to his Mommy ... what a delightful surprise for you, Lee. Darling pic.

And what a lovely gift you won.

Inventorying anywhere is a draining event ... I dread it every year in our shop ... yucky stuff, always glad when it is over.

Great to have you back & in the loop, my friend. You are always missed ... TTFN ~M arydon

blushing rose said...

PS TY for your note, Lee, T |J Maxx did sell it in gold as well ... I ws so thrilled to get the last white teapot but I'd have spray painted the gold white, also. Have a lovely day. TTFN ~ Marydon

Anonymous said...

He reminds me of me when I was a child. I devoured books... especially the Whitman books!!
Hugs,
Marilyn