Saturday, June 20, 2009

Happy Memories...

Happy Saturday to everyone! I have an hour before I have to be at work. We are going to be very busy today with tomorrow being Father's Day. We won't be as busy as we are when it is Mother's Day. I've never really understood that either. Daddy's are 'special' too. They work hard to provide for their families. Most of them do anyway. I've already wrapped my daddy's gift and I know that he is going to love it. He is a self -taught chef! He loves to cook! He makes the best turkey and dressing, the best steamed cabbage, (I use to not like cabbage until I tasted his) the best oyster stew, (even though I don't care for oysters) he is one of the best cooks that I've ever known. I bought him a Calphalon wok. He has a wok already but this one is smaller and has a glass lid. I know that he will use it a lot. I can't wait for him to cook me some steamed cabbage and homemade cornbread! He always saves me some extra cornbread to take home with me so that I can have 'cornbread and milk' for later! I told y'all that I was a true Southern girl!

I wanted to show y'all the large picture that I have in my kitchen. It has been my favorite for many years. I bought it at The Mole Hole years ago when I worked there. It is a signed print by Carolyn Shores Wright. I love her work. I have others of hers also. This picture has been to many houses with me. (Five) I always have to find a place for it in my kitchen wherever I live. (Please excuse the missing corner molding, still haven't put it up)
These are the canisters that I found a few weeks ago on one of my thrifting adventures! I fell in love with them at first site! I love the nostalgic look that they have. I thought that they looked perfect with my colors in my kitchen. Teresa at Eclectic Pink Rose , found the cake tin to match. She posted on it about the same time that I found mine. Now I'm on the lookout for one!


My Aunt Jenny use to have these when I was a little girl. I remember that she also had the 'Cookie' tin and she kept if full of oatmeal lace cookies. My all time favorite. I use to love to stay with her and when she baked those, I loved how her house would smell! They were delicious! Whenever I smell oatmeal cookies, I think of her. Even though hers smelled better... I hope that y'all have a great Saturday and I hope that y'all see some things or smell some things that strike up some "happy" memories!



10 comments:

Tanza said...

Hello Lee,
Hoping your day at work was a good one.. And maybe Sunday you will have time to relax and enjoy a bit !!Your picture is beautiful !! We all have certain pieces that we just LoVe !! Your tins are so sweet, and how funny Teresa found the matching piece.. I LoVe finding things that make me smile !! Have a happy day... hugs ~tea~xo

blushing rose said...

Lee ~ Have you checked with Tender Hearts & Treasures online .... www.tht.com, I think. These look like something we had seen in the wholesale catalogue for our shop ... well, anyway they are very sweet nostalgic pieces.

Hope you are doing well & Cole is fine. Have a beautiful weekend. TTFN ~Marydon

Eclectic Chic Style said...

Your Daddy sounds like a sweetie, I think most are, I know mine was the greatest man ever. Funny, my hubby always says Dads get over-looked more than Moms do especially with school being out, (no homemade gifts from the kids). His was special this year though. We made sure. I love your picture, and I do love love love those tins!!! My cake tin would be a perfect match. Isn't that fun, we must have the same taste. ;) Hope you didn't work too hard and enjoy Father's Day tommorow.
Hugs; ♥ Teresa

Tara said...

I love those canisters! My Mom used to have one when I was in grade school. The pictures are pretty as well. Have a blessed Sunday/Father's day!

Rebecca Nelson said...

Beautiful Picture Ms. L!!!!! LOVE IT! Those tins were popular and you're right...so nostalgic! SWEET MEMORIES FOR YOU I'm sure!

You are right...Daddy's are special too!

xoRebecca

candy said...

Such a pretty blog :)

Melissa/Piney Rose said...

I agree with Marydon about Tender Heart Treasures - lots of cute stuff similar to the tins. Love the picture.

Sue said...

I remember those canisters too!
Blessings~LillySue

passion4pink said...

Hi Lee
really interested to see you all celebrate father's day earlier than australia. Our father's Day is in September. Happy fathers Day to all the dads out there!!
I like how the colours in your lamp and glass pieces co ordinate with the beautiful picture, works very well!
Cornbread? mmmm i haven't tried cornbread before.i like any bread that is fresh from the oven. I hope you are well and had a good day at work.

Mo..."Mo's Cottage" said...

I do like your print...I can see why you put it up in your kitchen.. I had some canisters like yours years ago....I wonder what happened to them??? I always like them....
Hugs