Sunday, March 21, 2010

My kitchen hutch re-do




Hello everyone! Can you believe that it is finally Spring?! I'm so excited! This is one of my favorite seasons. I love Spring. Today I decided to start a little spring cleaning to get ready for Easter. I had planned on putting out all of my Easter things but guess what? I can't find them. I have two storage buildings out back and can't remember which one I put them in. Usually that's not too much of a problem...but "Baby it's cold outside". Too cold and windy to be out in a storage building looking for Easter bunnies! So on to plan B. I finally packed up my Christmas dishes...right before Easter! Yay! I'm doing good this year. LOL


I decided that I would paint the inside of my kitchen hutch before I put my everyday dishes back in it. I painted the whole thing black about 4 years ago. I looked in the utility room and all I could find was this yellow paint that I bought off of the 'oops' table one day at Walmart.



I thought it was a little too yellow so I decided to add some red acrylic paint to it to darken it up a bit. ( I didn't know what I was doing!)




It started looking good...I thought...





But it was a little bit too 'pink' for my kitchen. So I found some purple glaze and added a little dab of it. Kind-of like cookin'. I ended up having to add more yellow before it was all over. LOL






This is my kitchen hutch before I painted the back of it. It started out white all over and a few years ago I painted it black. I might even go back to white one day...that will be tough!







I bought it one day at a junk store for $50.00. It had been in a house fire and it was a mess! I love the style if it. I love the feet and the wire. I have glass for it...somewhere in storage.








Close up of my dishes. I love mixing patterns.









I love using warm vibrant colors in my kitchen. I bought the black hand painted bowl at a flea market one day. Whoever painted it did a beautiful job. Maybe she is famous and I just don't know yet.










This cabinet has a French Country look to me.











This is my little apron collection. I love wearing aprons when I'm cooking.












My fruit dishes are from the Biltmore Collection. The solid color dishes are from Signature called 'Bella'. I love that name.













I bought the tassel from a thrift shop the other day for only .50 cents. Isn't it pretty? I knew it would be perfect for my hutch door.














Didn't it turn out pretty?












It has it's little imperfections...it's been moved 3 times in the last few years. I guess that just gives it the 'shabby' look.


I'm linking to "Show Off Your Cottage Monday" at "The House In The Roses". Be sure to go by there and check out everyone else and what they are sharing about their cottage today.
I'm also linking to Transformation Thursdays at 'The Shabby Chic Cottage'. Go by there and see everyone elses links. There are some great ideas out there!



Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!





18 comments:

Tanza said...

Hi Sweet Lee,
Ooohh it looks soo pretty, and the colors are all such happy tones !! I just LoVe your apron collection .. Did you know I LoVe aprons .. how wonderful that you wear them too .. I usually buy vintage type, soo I am afraid to use those .. I do hang them, and use some hung over curtain rods for a sweet seasonal look .. Your kitchen looks so homey and soo Susan Branch.. Do you know who she is .. You would LoVe her books and collections .. Such a lovely lady she is as well .. always love my visits with you sweet friend .. you have a wonderful Sunday evening ~
hugs ~tea~xo

Brenda Pruitt said...

You have a lot more nerve than I do! I'm afraid to even cook that way, which is probably why I'm not a great cook. But it came out wonderful!
Brenda

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Lee, WOW I love your redo of the hutch. It is perfect. I could see this in my kitchen for sure. LOL Love the dishes and the inside color really made it look amazing against all the gorgeous colors. I really love the details of your hutch. Wonderful job. What a darling apron collection too. Perfect right there hanging by the hutch.
Thank you for stopping by and letting me know you had such a pretty to see. You are so talented and your project reflects this very much.

Stay warm and have a great evening.
Love to you, Celestina Marie

Denise Marie said...

wonderful little project. Love it! Your dishes are vibrant and fun.

Sandy~Romantique Inspirations~ said...

Hi Lee Laurie, Thanks for stopping by to visit. Hey what a great looking piece your cabinet is.... It was white huh? now that would of been hard for me to paint it black, but you know what it looks fantastic. I'm still more of the creamy white person, but the black does pull me in somewhat. My sister has the black and I do love it. I have a cabinet in my room that I paid for the same price you paid for yours, and it to was in very bad shape.... It took a long time to get it where I wanted it to be, but it was so worth it.

Aprons.... you can never have enough. I adore them too-

Enjoy Your Day*

Dawn said...

I just love the colors in your dishes. I've thought about painting my hutch but I'm not brave enough!
Hugs,
Dawn

Rita Mireles said...

Wow you were right, it does resemble my nightstand and I think the drawer pulls are the exact same!! I love your hutch, it's gorgeous!!!

Robin@DecoratingTennisGirl said...

Hi Lee Laurie,
Thanks for your sweet comments about my wisteria. I love how your hutch turned out! The dishes are so colorful and cherry.
Robin

Robin@DecoratingTennisGirl said...

Hi Lee Laurie,
It must be my bedtime, I meant to say your dishes are so cheery! :) Have a nice evening.
Robin

Nancy's Daily Dish said...

What a pretty piece of furniture! I bet it looks good just about any color. I think the color you came up with really makes your dishes stand out! They are lovely.

Anonymous said...

Love what you did to the back of your hutch!! I papered my this weekend using old sheet of paper and music and love the look also- need to get a pic up soon!

bee blessed
mary

Melissa Miller said...

Oh how gorgeous this looks! I adore the contrast and pop of color. Fantastic job Lee Laurie!

Happy spring! ~Melissa :)

Lemon Lane Studio said...

You are so brave to change paint color that way but it turned out beautiful. It looks great with the black of your hutch and your dishes just pop in there. Thank you for the sweet comment on my blog.

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Wow! it looks great! I Love how it turned out and your dishes set the back round color off perfectly! You were brave to crate your own color, but it worked out perfect for you.
I have all my aprons hanging in my kitchen too, aren't they fun!
Take good care and have a great week.
Hugs,Elizabeth

I {heart} Nap Time said...

looks so pretty! i love it!

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

The hutch looks great with the back lightened up. Thanks for sharing at the POPP.

N @ Cheap Like a Birdie said...

I love all the detail on the hutch!

Tammy@Simple Southern Happiness said...

Happy birthday!

I love your cabinet, you have brought it to life in a marvelous way. I have one waithing for me to do the same. I am getting imspired after looking at your photos.