Friday, July 9, 2010

A great find 22 years ago...

Today is Show and Tell Friday over at Cindy's "My Romantic Home". I have something that I would like to share with y'all today. I'm slowly but surely getting my storage buildings cleaned out and re-doing some items to keep for my cottage and some to re-do and sell. Hope you like what I've done this week. Please go buy "My Romantic Home" and see what the other participates have to share too.

I wanted to share with y'all a piece of furniture that I painted this past week while I was on vacation. I have had it for several years. These two pictures are the only 'before' pictures that I could find. Christy is gonna be so mad at me for posting these. lol In the top one she was only around 5 years old and she always made these funny faces when I tried to take her picture. She never thought that I would be using them one day and showing them to my 'blogging' friends. Those were the days when I was into the country decorating style. Look at all my watermelons, chickens, etc. This next one was taken when she was around 8 years old and I was using the furniture in Cole's nursery. I was still expecting him at the time and we had gotten his little room all ready. When we moved to Denver, I left it here with my sister and she painted it white and used it in her daughter's room. She kept storybooks and videos in the little cubbies. A few years ago she gave it back to me and I kept it in storage for years.

I decided that I wanted to 'paint' something when I was on vacation, so I thought about this piece. I'm gonna use it in my bathroom to store towels, toiletries, etc. My bathroom is under 'construction' right now so it will remain in my bedroom for now.


It's a very heavy old piece...I've had it for 22 years and it was old whenever I bought it. I got it at a garage sale for $25.00. That was a bargain. I remember trying to figure out if I could afford it or not. I actually used a little 'grocery' money to buy it. LOl That was a lot of money back then for me. (It still is)



I love the little doors at the top. They open up downwards. They have really old hinges and latches. When I first got it there was glass in the doors. I changed it back then to punched out tin. (Country days). This time, I plan on putting lace there.




In my bedroom all prettied up. The color I used is called "Tangerine Dream". A soft peachy color.





Even though I'm using it in my bedroom for now, I'm still storing my towels in the cubbies.







Isn't she pretty? Ain't she sweet? Now I'm ready to get that bathroom finished. Stevie tore out the old shower for me and I already bought my new bathtub. I'm getting excited!




16 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a really neat piece!! Have you seen where they roll up the towels and put in the cubbies? That might be a really cute look with this plus give you more room to store some other things too!

Thanks for commenting on my arbor my son made for me! I sure love showing it off!

bee blessed
mary

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Love this piece girl...and I also was so into the country look at one time...think it was the middle 80's ha ha!! Good grief everything I had was painted williamburg blue then even my carpet was blue to match ha ha!! I think I gave it all to my youngest daughter when she got her first home...now I wonder what she did with it all ha ha!! Thanks for becoming a follower and I'm now also one of yours...Hope you have a GREAT weekend my new found friend, Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Tanza said...

Hi Sweetie,
Ooohhh that is a wonderful piece of furniture !! That can really hold soo much .. It looks wonderful in your room .. But, I know it will look as well in the pretty NeW bathroom .. how exciting for you !!

Your daughter is just adorable, and became soo beautiful as a young woman .. you are blessed my friend ~
HuGs ~Tea~ xo

Debbie said...

This looks wonderful!!!! the beadboard in the back looks beachy.
I love how you've added all the right pieces to finish the cupboard.
Thank you for stopping by my blog.
Your newest follower,
Debbie@houseatthelake

Vintage Porcelain Art By Amy Enright said...

I enjoied my visit to your blog! Thank you!
Amy

Deanna said...

Hi sweetie!
Sending you some overdue gifts on Wednesday so be on the look out for them.

Loved the piece and you did a great paint job! You really have a treasure there for sure.

Hope everything is going great and say hello to Stevie :D

All of my love,
Deanna

Tara said...

It IS a great piece! It turned out beautifully. I much prefer it's light color to the dark wood. It makes the details stand out so beautifully!

La Petite Gallery said...

I love that song by Eddie Cantor.
That is a great find. You did a exellent job. Have a good Sunday. yvonne

NanaDiana said...

Hi there- I just found you through Debbie @ Lakehouse. This is such a sweet piece. I love the beadboard...Love the whole piece actually. I DO remember when $25.00 was a whole heckuva lot of money to spend at a garage sale. Did you have that little "bantering" conversation with yourself? (I've done that) lol It would be a neat piece in any room but I think it will look wonderful in a bathroom. Diana

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Lee Laurie,
Oh what a wonderful transformation. I love it. And, the way you are using it is so pretty. I know you are going to use it in the bathroom later, but it sure does fit that wall nicely for now!!

Just gorgeous!! Hope you had a nice vacation week.
Thanks for stopping by dear one.
See you again soon.
Hugs, Celestina Marie

Celestina Marie said...

Me again, forgot to say Christy is so cute in the pics. I remember the country stuff too well. I used to paint and sell tons of it! LOL
C

Amanda @ Healthy House on the Block said...

What a great shelf! I love those doors on top! It's such a functional yet cute piece. :)

Thank so much for your sweet comments ~ I love reading them!!

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

That's a wonderful piece! I can see that being used in so many places but the bathroom will be a great place!

Unknown said...

What a pretty piece of furniture. It looks beautiful in your room!

Stevie said...

It looks really good. One of the reasons, I like it, is because you can use it for several different things. It does look better once you finished painting it. You have had it 22 years....so I wonder how old is it. It is in great shape. It is like you say "a little paint makes everything look better!"

MEME'S PLACE said...

I love this !!! I love how you treasure things and make lasting memories . I remember the punched out tin, the lace, brown, white and all. You always see the beauty in things.I remember having this in my kids room too. I filled it with story books, movies, and stuffed animals. Whiney would put a different baby doll in each cubby, kinda like she had her own little nursery and play for hours. She also played like it was a huge barbie house and each cubby was decorated like a different room. Now your making a new memory and it looks beautiful,and of course I love the peach color.