Friday, August 20, 2010

A new guest room

This has been the busiest couple of weeks for me. Between getting Garrett back in school....he is in the 4th grade now, how can that even be possible?...to cleaning out closets around my cottage and helping my friend fix up her guest room. I guess I could call this my first real decorating 'job'. One that I got paid to do! I would love to do this for a living...maybe one day. This top picture is the finished bedroom. She wanted a 'shabby chic' guest room for when her mom comes to stay during the holidays. We were trying to use things that she already had because we were working on a tight budget. I think it turned out very pretty. She already had the quilt and throw pillows...so we went with those colors. We used paint that I had left over from my recent bedroom make over in my cottage. I love that color. It's so peaceful. I love waking up in my room and looking around and seeing that pretty 'sage' green. The room was dark brown paneling....yuck!

We painted this little desk that was sitting out in her garage...for years! lol It had so much dust and grime on it that I wasn't sure if we could salvage it. lol Not really, good old primer always does the trick. The wicker furniture was sitting on her little side porch and never was being used...so we gave it a fresh coat of white paint and it looks brand new again. I had the old mirror in storage and it was UGLY gold, so we gave it a couple of coats of paint too. It looks so much prettier now. We even painted a little wicker trash basket from the thrift store to put beside the desk. Now her mom can sit here with her laptop.

She looked around her house and found these frames that were already painted shabby white. The little wicker end table came from a garage sale. She already had the two lamps and they were perfect for this room. I tried not to get the door in the picture that we had not painted yet...I see it peeking in the picture a little bit. :)


One of the hardest parts of this make over was getting those doors painted white. They were dark brown and it took two coats of primer and 2 coats of paint to get them white. The little dresser was brown too. It originally had handles on it but one was lost. She had a bag of wooden knobs that she had picked up at a thrift store so we decided to use them. A little paint and the holes were already in the dresser so it was an easy fix.



The headboard was actually a wall decoration that was a bronze color...a little white paint and it looks perfect. The curtains and the green bedspread and shams came from the dollar store. I think she said that she got them at Fred's. The quilt went perfect with it. We didn't have a whole lot of money to spend but I think it turned out so pretty. Her mother will feel so welcomed here...she may not ever wanna go back home. :) Thank me for that later Amanda. lol
I'm linking with My Romantic Home for "Show and tell Friday" and The House in The Roses for "Show off your cottage Monday".



30 comments:

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Good morning Laurie...girl you did an awesome job on this room..it's like a Bed-N-breakfast room now...Just lovely girl...Hope you have a GREAT weekend my friend...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

Very pretty room you did!

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

You did a wonderful job with her guestroom! Paneling does look so pretty once it's painted. It has a very cottagey look. I know what you mean about those doors. We had those in this house too and I remember it took several coats of paint to cover them. They seem to just absorb paint! I love that you re-used so many things to make such a lovely room!

Manuela

Tara said...

You did a marvelous job! I love all the soft greens and the white. It looks so fresh and inviting. Her Mom may just NOT want to go home! Beautiful!

Joanne Kennedy said...

I think the room turned out wonderful! I would love to have a room like that when I went to visit someone. Heck, I would love it here at home. Great job!

Hugs,
Joanne

Tanza said...

Hi Sweetie,
LoVe what you did to transform this pretty room .. Looks like you can move right in .. hahaha .. Isn't it funny how we love to make things over and over again .. the colors are soo bright and cheery .. Her Momma will never want to leave this little piece of paradise .. Good JoB my southern girlie friend ~
PiNk HuGs to you ~
~TeA~ xo

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hi Laurie,
Your friend is so lucky to have you help her with the guest room.
You both did a wonderful job and left no detail behind. It looks lovely.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a nice comment. I'll be back to see you often.

hugs
Sissie

Glenda said...

Laurie, so glad you found me so in turn I could find you. The guest bedroom looks beautiful. You did an amazing job by gathering from here and there. Everything in the room from the colors and wicker to the quilt look wonderful together. I will visit again and again.
~G~

Nicole ~ said...

Hey Laurie, you did an amazing job for your friend, it looks wonderful!!

Hugs,
Nicole

Anonymous said...

Hi Lee Laurie! Oh, what a wonderful bedroom and it is so cottagey! You did a marvelous job helping your friend.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Marie said...

Hello Laurie - Your new guest room is so pretty! I really love the colors you picked. So relaxing and feminine. Stopping by from SOYCM.
-marie

Anonymous said...

Dear Lee Laurie,
Thank you for the birthday wishes!
This room turned out so pretty. I really love that color on the walls.
Hugs))

La Petite Gallery said...

Wonderfyl colors, and the head board is fantastic. I hope she loves you for thatjob..


yvonne

Debbie said...

What a great job on this room! The walls almost look like beadboard now. Love all the soft colors you've brought together.
Very nice.
Debbie@houseatthelake

Anonymous said...

This room looks gorgeous LL. Love the green, very serene! I also love your furniture transformations in your previous post. Hope you are feeling well. Did you ever hear back on your MRI? Hugs. Tazzy

Come by for a free GIVEAWAY!

Farah said...

Very soothing and inviting guest room, I am sure your guest will stay more once they come in.
Wall colours are very calming and the bed is as well beautifull and white furniture enhance the beauty and sereneness of room... lovely

http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/

Kathy said...

This is a beautiful, relaxing room. I am sure she will feel quite invited and loved. You did a terrific job - Freds?! The window treatments are beautiful - very feminine.
Hope you have a great day,
Kathy

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Such a sweet room and perfect for company...What fun to help a friend decorate her guest room, and you got paid (how cool)! Wonderful job the room is very pretty.
Have a sweet day,
Hugs~Elizabeth

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

such beautiful room! pink and green my fave colours! job well done!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful room! I love the shabby chic look. The colors you used are beautiful. Great job!

KimMalk said...

You did a wonderful job. What a lot of painting. The paneling looks so cottage-y and soothing.

La Petite Gallery said...

Just another peek,,


yvonne

Unknown said...

G'morn, LeeLaurie ~ What a fabulous makeover ... so warm, inviting & feminine. You did a beautiful job, my friend.

This was so sweet of you ...
Have a beautiful summer's day ~
TTFN ~Hugs, Marydon

Rebecca Nelson said...

Beautiful my friend. Awesome makeover on the room. Just beautiful! BEAUTIFUL! I know you are so proud!

Love to you~

Rebecca

Jenni said...

Wow, you did a fantastic job on the room~ it looks amazing! You two were so creative as you found ways to do this on the cheap! I think you could easily do this for a living! :)

I want to say thank you for stopping by our blog and entering the giveaway at Beautiful Nest! It is nice to "meet" you! :)

Blessings,
Jenni
beautifulnest.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Great job on this pretty room!! Isn't is just so fun helping friends! I am trying to get a post up about a room that I helped a friend redo and it turned out great like this one too!

bee blessed
mary

LukesLove said...

Thanks for stopping by again!! As you could see blogging has gone to the wayside for me... lol! Blessings! P.S. I am still enjoying the candle I won from you in my beach bathroom and I love to look through the cottage coffee table book occasionally! =)

LukesLove said...

oh - sweet bedroom btw!!! I'd love to do decorating and being paid for it!!!!

Tracy said...

I love it! What a beautiful guest room! So welcoming! The headboard is amazing!

La Petite Gallery said...

I like the new quest room, I see you are enjoying your Sister.. Have a great week ..yvonne